Mono White Emeria Control

בין אם זה קלף בודד או הקומבו הלוהט בשוק, חבילה תחרותית או משחק בין חברים זה המקום

מנהלים: Navidshi, kabanist

שלח תגובה
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice
הודעות: 133
הצטרף: 14/6/2004 , 10:39
מיקום: Haifa, Israel
אמר/ה תודה: 0
קיבל תודה: 0

Mono White Emeria Control

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

White has one of the best creatures in the format (Baneslayer), the best removal (Path to Exile), the best mass removal (Day of Judgment) and some powerful synergies to make Eeria, the Sky Ruin seriously broken.

The following deck tries to take advantage of these synergies and this power.

In the Technion League last night, the deck gave good results paired against good players with good decks. By no means was that representative of the metagame, and the small number of games hardly gives strong indications, but the potential of the deck was surely apparent.

Here is the current list I’m running:
// Lands
4 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
20 Plains

// Creatures
4 Kor Cartographer
3 Wall of Reverence
4 Baneslayer Angel
2 Iona, Shield of Emeria
3 Devout Lightcaster
4 Knight of the White Orchid
2 World Queller

// Spells
4 Expedition Map
4 Path to Exile
4 Day of Judgment
2 Martial Coup

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Wall of Reverence
SB: 1 Devout Lightcaster
SB: 1 Martial Coup
SB: 4 Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 Harm's Way
SB: 4 Celestial Purge
SB: 2 World Queller

This is a control deck with a very simple gameplan.
Get Emeria, the Sky Ruin into play with 7 plains.
(dah)
The tools to get there are acceleration (Knight of the White Orchid, Kor Cartographer & Path to Exile), search (Expedition Map), blockers, and reset buttons (Day of Judgment & Martial Coup).

Emeria, the Sky Ruin generates card advantage only if there are creatures in the yard, the reset helps there too, especially with the “Enter the Battlefield” creatures.

Devout Lightcaster is MD hate for Jund, but in this metagame, and as a creature with a strong Enter the Battlefield ability, I think it is justifiable.

Wall of Reverence is an amazing card here – gives you the time to get to the late game with the life gain and his big body. It can even hold off opposing Baneslayers – the opponent still gains life, but this is a control deck – you don’t care about the opponent gaining life.

I find Expedition Map better than Armillary Sphere for several reasons: Gives you virtually 8 Emerias main, while still possible to bring plains when Emeria is already in play. Goblin Ruinblaster is less of a problem if you have 8 potential Emeria to his 4 Blasters. Lastly, it lets you curve out better: turn 1 map, turn 2 activate map to get the needed land, turn 3 Knight of the White Orchid bringing a land, play land (Emeria usually-thanks to Map) and be open to Path the Knight for a potential of 5 lands in play before turn 4! It is very important to get to 4 mana with this deck and this curve. You will not believe how often turn 1 Map turn 3 Knight occurred last night :)

World Queller is the latest addition to the deck – I did not run it last night, but it seems to have a lot of synergies in this deck: sends creatures to the yard – to keep Emeria useful, takes care of awkward Planeswalkers and ascensions (actually the only answer to them main deck), is itself a creature Emeria can bring back. Seems like a good package so I took a Lightcaster and a Wall out from the MD to put a couple of World Quellers in.

The sideboard at the moment is just more of what you need: more mass removal, more ways to deal with black and red permanents, and against the odd build that does not run Black – good old Oblivion Ring… If milling strategy, or some other hate that affects this deck shoes up, the necessary changes will come instead of “more of the same” that the sideboard is now.

I don’t think there are any other card choices that require explanation; I would just mention that it is very possible to hard cast Iona in this deck. About half the games last night that she showed up – she was hard cast.

Matchup analysis:
Not much I can say, except that this deck was built with the creature heavy decks in this format and especially with Jund in mind.
Blightning is not so bad if you discard creatures (they fuel Emeria later on).
Devout Lightcaster trumps Putrid Leech. Mass removal takes care of the creature swarms, and the life gain (Wall of Reverence & Baneslayer Angel) buys you the time to get your engine going.

Any suggestions/comments?

Cheers,
Gaby.
Cheni
MTGil Wizard
הודעות: 222
הצטרף: 30/9/2007 , 13:28
מיקום: בית יתיר

שליחה על ידי Cheni »

Me Like!:)
Sariel
why drink and drive, when you can smoke and fly...
TV-R-US
MTGil Wizard
הודעות: 3010
הצטרף: 10/12/2006 , 1:33
יצירת קשר:

שליחה על ידי TV-R-US »

מה עם לנסות Lapse of Certainty ?
אתה הרי בא בגישה של לעכב את היריב הרבה.
ואמרתי לך כבר שאני אוהב את הדק הזאת רק על זה שהיא משחקת את איונה :P :green:
My first girlfriend turned into the moon
ליגת הטכניון בפייסבוק: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1659351194292050/" target="_blank
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice

Lapse of Certainty

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

Lapse of Certainty is a tempo card. It delays a spell by a turn. This MonoWhite control deck is anything but fast :D
This deck does not gain much by delaying the opponent for a turn...

I am not sure what deck I would want Lapse of Certainty against.

Against creatures I would rather use the mass removal.

I am not aware of any combo deck that delaying it by a turn would make a difference.

Against Counter heavy decks, in order to protect my own spells, I would rather have the cheaper Silence. If such decks become popular, I would put Silence in the SB.

Cheers,
Gaby
offer
MTGil Wizard
הודעות: 496
הצטרף: 07/2/2005 , 10:24

שליחה על ידי offer »

האנצ'נטמנט הלבנה שנותן 8 חיים כאשר מכניסים 3 אדמות יכול להיות טוב נגד חבילות אדמות שרוב היצורים שלהם מוקרבים בסוף התור ולא פגיעים למס רימובל שלא באינסטנט..
xlniar
MTGil Wizard
הודעות: 828
הצטרף: 30/4/2007 , 20:53
מיקום: נשר

שליחה על ידי xlniar »

מה דעתך על captain of the watch גבי? הוא עולה 6 ולפי מה שהבנתי מהדק אתה יכול להאיץ עליו וגם כול פעם שהוא בא למשחק הוא יכניס טוקנים יש גם את soul warden שיכולה להביא לך המון חיים בזכות מספר emeria בלוח
TV-R-US
MTGil Wizard
יצירת קשר:

שליחה על ידי TV-R-US »

ממה שראיתי הדק משיגה כמות נכבדת של חיים לבדה.

חבל ש endless horizons יצא מהטייפ
ליגת הטכניון בפייסבוק: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1659351194292050/" target="_blank
sinithar
MTGil Wizard
הודעות: 1578
הצטרף: 04/5/2009 , 21:02

שליחה על ידי sinithar »

לא נראה לי שזה חובה או שימושי, אבל Plainscyclers למיניהם מאלארה יכולים לעזור להבין לנדים.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice

Captain of the Watch

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

@ ALL
There are tons of good cards out there. When you suggest a new card, please also suggest what card it should replace in the list. Example: Is Battlegrace Angel a good card? - Sure. Should it come instead of Baneslayer? - Not really...

@ xlniar:
Captain of the Watch is a very aggressive creature. this is a control deck. I want something extra from creatures in this deck. Something more than a couple of tokens. Example: Last night I got a concession when my opponent was at 23 life and I was at 3... getting faster beats is not what this deck is looking for.
There are MonoWhite Soldier decks out there that are playing the Captain. see the 3rd place list by Magno in this link: http://www.magic-league.com/deck/54736/ ... diers58558

I was actually thinking about Knight-Captain of Eos. Cheap Fog effects would be welcome here, but I'm too afraid of Volcanic Fallout... I also don't know what I would take out of the deck for him.

Soul Warden is also a card I really like, but at the moment am not sure what card I would want to take out in order to fit him. If all goes well in the game, there will not be too many creatures in play (mass removals & chump blockage). If things are not going so well and the opponent is crowding the board with creatures (this deck is certainly not spitting out fast creatures) then the Soul Warden life gain could buy you a little time to topdeck that mass removal. What would you take out of the deck to fit a warden in?.
Cheers,
Gaby.
PopperThingi
Dragon Food
הודעות: 2002
הצטרף: 09/8/2007 , 16:51
מיקום: בנימינה

שליחה על ידי PopperThingi »

יש לך כמה "חורים" שרוב המונו-לבן שראיתי משחקים, והמשמעותי ביותר שבהם הוא Elspeth, Knight Errant. היא חזקה בהרבה מ-Wall of Reverence, קלף שפגיע מאוד לג'ונד, מונו לבן אחר, בורוס, ובערך כל שאר המטאגיים. אלספת' עולה ליריב בקלפים, בנזק לראש שלך, ובהרבה מאוד זמן. היא גם בטח חשובה מקלפים מצביים כמו Devout Lightcaster, שאמנם חזקים נגד ג'ונד וערפדים, אבל אלו שתי חבילות שמונו-לבן מוצלח נגדן בכל מקרה. ה-Lightcaster נוראי אם אתה לא משחק נגד שחור, ואלספת' או Luminarch Ascension הרבה יותר מתאימים ממנו במיין. ואל תשים Celestial Purge בסיידבורד. הוא כל כך יותר טוב מפאת'? לא. הוא הורג משהו ש-Oblivion Ring לא הורג? לא. אז למה?
הקיוב שלי ב-CubeTutor נסו בעצמכם!
Navidshi
Judgmental Bastard
הודעות: 16994
הצטרף: 06/9/2004 , 11:52

שליחה על ידי Navidshi »

ואל תשים Celestial Purge בסיידבורד. הוא כל כך יותר טוב מפאת'? לא. הוא הורג משהו ש-Oblivion Ring לא הורג? לא. אז למה?
נגד שחור/אדום? כן. הוא הורס דברים שהם לא יצורים, הוא לא נותן ליריב כלום, הוא instant ולא enchantment ואי אפשר לעשות לו undo.
AVIV
Master of Disaster
הודעות: 4281
הצטרף: 19/9/2005 , 14:09
מיקום: חיפה

שליחה על ידי AVIV »

את האמת אני ממש לא אוהב את האורקיד. כמה שהוא מגניב הוא יצור מאד בינוני בדק הזאת בלייט גיים ומעטים המקרים שהוא יביא לך את הלנד שאתה באמת צריך לדעתי.. אולי כדאי במקום להוסיף את ה4/6 ויג'ילנס לייפלינק ההוא?
TheCheat כתב:_.~'`'~._.~ כוכבי כסף - כוכבים בלעשות עליך כסף! ~._.~'`'~._
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

@ PopperThingi
Elspeth is indeed stronger than Wall of Reverence, however I have several problems with her in this deck:
She is aggressive. much like the Captain of the Watch argument above. This deck tries to take control first, and kill later, more aggressive cards are not really needed. Late game advantage is done with Emeria, not by generating soldier tokens - which brings me to the second problem: Elspeth is not a creature, and thus cannot be brought back with Emeria. I need to have a critical number of creatures in the deck in order for Emeria to be good... if after all the work done to get to 7 plains I dont have a significant body to bring back from the yard, I didnt do much...
Wall of reverence is not that easy to kill - most of the time a removal spell is needed. not too many 6 power creatures out there... If I can pull a removal spell out of the opponent to kill the wall, that is one less removal he can throw at Baneslayer. Once Emeria is active the removal just temporarily takes the wall out. It will be back.
The last point is that having a planeswalker in my own deck weakens World Queller ability to deal with opposing walkers.

Regarding Devout Lightcaster being a nerrow card - I agree. this build is pre-sideboarded vs. Jund. Jund is still a hard match. For a deck that tries to get to 8 lands in play, turn 2 Leech is VERY hard to deal with... DoJ is not a very good answer to Thrinax... Lightcaster is. There are just SO many decks with black right now, it seems like a fine choice for the current meta. Besides, I need to take something out of the deck when I need to sideboard something in ;) .

@ Aviv:
I like the Knight for two reasons:
I absolutely need an early drop. did you see the mana curve of this deck?
Surviving the early turns is the challange for this deck... It chumps, accelerates me to the critical 4 mana point. I always want to go second because of it - which also gives me an extra card. It is my preferable Path to Exile target, and you can ask Ariel - In 6 games we played, 5 of them the Knight showed up to bring me a plains into the battlefield...
The 4/6 lifelink guy (a.k.a. Felidar Sovereign): firstly, I really dont need more expensive cards in the deck... seems like a win more card to me... if I am at 40 life, I will eventually get to whipe the board and get Iona/Baneslayer to finish the opponent off. If a deck comes up that will not let me win honestly with damage, then there should be a place found for Felidar Sovereign in the SB.

Cheers,
Gaby
TV-R-US
MTGil Wizard
יצירת קשר:

שליחה על ידי TV-R-US »

מה עם lightwielder paladin נגד ג'ונד במקום world queller? אותו גוף ועלות אבל הפלאדין חוסם רציני ואם הוא עושה נזק זה lightcaster כל תור.
אומנם הוא אגרסיבי יותר אבל הוא יגרום ליריב לחשוב אם הוא רוצה לתקוף ולהשאיר את עצמו פתוח למתקפה. ביחוד אם יש לך עוד קיר לחסום שיחזיר לך את החיים שאיבדת
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

@ TV-R-US
World Queller works so well with Emeria - Putting a creature in the yard for Emeria to bring back, whenever needed. Even if the Queller is the only creature - this combination means the opponent needs to sac a creature every turn - with no cost to you.
I cannot see switching World Queller for Paladin in the main.

Against Jund I think I got enough hate in the SB :)
My problem with lightwielder paladin is (besides the high CC and it needing to be aggressive to activate) also that it gives control to the opponent on the Paladin activation.
Jund usually got plenty of blockers to work with, to keep the Paladin from activating - Mainly Thrinax that can hold off a Paladin for 4 turns...
The fact World Queller can take care of opposing Garruks is more significant in this matchup.

In the long game this deck does fine - It got mass removals and a card advantage engine. The early game is usually the problem.
Playing some Vs. Boros Bushwacker deck - I believe Harms Way is the way to go - and up the count of Harms way in the Sideboard to a full playset.
Oblivion Ring is underwhelming, especially with Pulse in the meta, and the two other World Quellers in the side.
+2 Harm's Way -2 Oblivion Ring

Cheers,
Gaby
TV-R-US
MTGil Wizard
יצירת קשר:

שליחה על ידי TV-R-US »

נראה לי עברנו על כל הקלפים האפשריים כבר :P
רק אמרת שלא יזיק fog effect זול, תמיד אפשר לנסות angelsong , למרות שכנראה harm's way יעיל יותר (למרות שהוא לא מונע את כל הנזק).
Soul
Aether Blaster
הודעות: 1732
הצטרף: 21/6/2007 , 11:57

שליחה על ידי Soul »

למרות שאני מבין את היתרון של Martial Coup בדק שלך ( גם stall פוטנציאלי, גם mass removal וגם win condition פוטנציאלי) האם שקלת להחליף אותו ב-Planar Cleansing (זmass removal זול יותר שנפטר מפליינסווקרים ו-enchantments). או אולי כסייד?
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

@ TV-R-US:
Angelsong is indeed a cheap fog effect for white (twice the cost of the original, but - yes). Angelsong is a TEMPO card (outside of Turbo Fog), meant to buy you another turn, that would win you the race. That is a fine Limited option, I personally loved to have Angelsong in my SoA/SoA/SoA aggressive draft decks.
When I said I considered Knight Captain of Eos, it was because it is a lock Vs. creatures: sac a soldier to fog, sac a soldier to fog, block with the Captain, get the captain and two of his soldiers back with Emeria and repeat. One card Fog lock for the rest of the game is appealing. one shot instant Fog effect, not so much in a control deck...

@Soul:
Like you wrote in your message - Martial Coup is getting you Soldier tokens. This is extremely important. You never want to see a mass removal spell against an empty board, and Thrinax makes mass removal underwhelming. Martial Coup beats those problems perfectly. Especially in a mana ramp deck like this. BTW, casting Martial Coup for less than 7 man IS an option, and can buy you a turn when you are at the end of your rope... It is less than optimal, but do-able.
This is when checking Planar Cleansing for Creature Mass removals.
When looking at the Non-Creature permanent mass removal, I really prefer repeatable effects - like World Queller, that also blocks, beats and returns with Emeria. There are usually very few non-land, non-creature permanents in play. removing one at a time is usually enough.

If y'all think this deck is heavily tuned Vs. Jund - check out the UW AGGRO deck at the bottom of this article! This Bolvo0 guy REALLY hates Jund :)

4 lightcaster, 4 White Knight, SB:4 Purge LOL

http://strategy.channelfireball.com/fea ... -primer-2/

Cheers,
Gaby
TV-R-US
MTGil Wizard
יצירת קשר:

שליחה על ידי TV-R-US »

איפה אתה עושה טסטינג לדק?
AquaMyst
MTGil Apprentice

שליחה על ידי AquaMyst »

@ TV-R-US:
I test on Workstation, with friends on Workstation and in the Technion League.
This week the deck will go without me to League, since I'm in Italy, but I'm sure Aviv will write something about the deck performance.

Cheers,

Gaby
שלח תגובה